Blog Archive

Monday, June 13, 2011

Design it, Dream it, Bake it.

I think the most fun cakes I have made have been the unconventional ones. My first crack at a cake that wasn't supposed to look like a cake was for my friend Katherine, who left for serve at Homes of Hope in Fiji. It was also my second time working with fondant, which didn't work out, but I was able to improvise. It was then that I learned, no cake is perfect, but the art comes in being flexible when a design doesn't work out the way you planned it. Instead I used part fondant, and worked with the existing buttercream frosting to become part of the design. I'm glad i didn't give up on my suitcase cake, even though someone thought it was a coach purse, in the end, I was happy with it and it has lead me to pursue more adventurous designs! Anyone want a coach purse bday cake? I know how to make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment